Small Towns Face Rising Suicide Rates
The New York Times, November 3, 2015
Despite a sleepy, Mayberry sort of image, the realities of small-town life can take an outsize toll on the vulnerable. A combination of lower incomes, greater isolation, family issues and health problems can lead people to be consumed by day-to-day struggles. READ THE ARTICLE
I have more than 20 years of experience in health and science writing. In 2014, I received the top medical journalism award from the American Society of Journalists and Authors. I began my career in newspapers, and was the longtime medical reporter for the Dallas Morning News. In 2006, I left the world of daily journalism to write mostly for magazines. I am a contributing editor at Men’s Health, and a correspondent for Science News magazine. While I specialize in matters of health and science, I have also written about gun-toting liberals for D Magazine, and was the writer-reporter of the “Thugs” episode for the NPR series This American Life. I grew up in the piney woods of East Texas, but now live outside Dallas.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION:
• 2015 - Association of Health Care Journalists annual awards:
Winner: Best Consumer Feature: What’s Wrong With Robotic Surgery? (Men’s Health)
• 2014 – The American Society of Journalists and Authors annual awards:
Winner, Reporting on a Significant Topic: Who Killed Chris Kyle? (Men’s Health)
• 2013 – The American Society of Journalists and Authors annual awards:
Winner, Reporting on a Significant Topic: The Dirty Truth about Hospitals (Men’s Health)
• Winner of the 2012 June Roth Award for Medical Journalism
• Medical Writer at the Dallas Morning News, 1992-2006
• Kaiser Family Foundation Media Fellow, 2005-2006
• Frequent contributor to the New York Times, Science News, Men’s Health and Cure. Other credits include This American Life (National Public Radio), Self, Reader’s Digest, Marie Claire, Women’s Health, Newsweek, Prevention, D Magazine, Ladies’ Home Journal, Parenting, and O, the Oprah Magazine.
• Professional Associations
- National Association of Science Writers
- American Society of Journalists and Authors
- Association of Health Care Journalists
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or find me on twitter @ljbeil.